Monday, February 16, 2009

Brokenness




I love My Walk Mondays because I am always encouraged by the wonderful posts the ladies contribute. I love to be encouraged and sharpened by the wisdom that the others bring to the table. It is great because we are all able to bless each other and grow alongside one another.

I would like to share this week on the topic of brokenness. I am reading a book titled, "Brokenness, Surrender and Holiness" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. This book is a great book and all, but it is quite hard to read. It is not a sweet, fluffy book which makes the reader feel *great* after. Nancy is a hard hitter and she gets right to the point. This is one of the main reasons why I love her books. I long to be close to Jesus, I long for Him to have all of me, and I don't want to hold anything back. I am excited to finish this book because I want to be broken before my Jesus.

The first segment of the book is entirely on brokenness and there is even a questionnaire if you will, one might take to determine their brokenness level:

*Proud people are unapproachable or defensive when corrected.
-Broken people receive correction with a humble, open spirit.
*Proud people crave self-advancement.
-Broken people desire to promote others.
*Proud people are elated by praise and deflated by criticism.
-Broken people know that any praise of their accomplishments belongs to the Lord and that criticism can help them grow into spiritual maturity.
*Proud people try to control the circumstances and people around them-they are prone to manipulate.
-Broken people trust in God-they rest in Him and are able to wait for Him to act on their behalf.

These are just a few of the many questions to ask yourself regarding your own brokenness factor. I was very humbled when reading these and immediately discouraged because their is no amount of will power that I can use to muster up these broken attributes. I cannot make myself be this person, nor can I try to model these characteristics. These characteristics are fruits of walking in the Spirit and allowing the Spirit to be in control verses the flesh. I am thankful that God is gracious and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me according to Philippians 4:13. I can walk in the Spirit so I don't have to fulfill the deeds of the flesh. I can be a humble person because it's not my power doing it, it's His. God already knows my flesh, nor is He surprised of it, and all that is required of me is to take a look in the mirror and submit to Him.

"I have been crucified with Christ, it's no longer I who live but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Galatians 2:20

"For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:13

Dear Jesus, thank you for your Word. Thank you for who You are and Your great love for me. I ask that you would take my heart of stone and transform my heart into a soft pliable heart that can be used by you. Break my flesh down and mold me into that which brings you glory and joy to those around me. Please give me a humble and broken heart, and forgive me for allowing my flesh and pride to take over. Thank you for your grace and unfailing love which makes this brokenness possible. I love you Daddy. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you more than you know...

Angela said...

Dear Jesus, thank you for your Word. Thank you for who You are and Your great love for me. I ask that you would take my heart of stone and transform my heart into a soft pliable heart that can be used by you. Break my flesh down and mold me into that which brings you glory and joy to those around me. Please give me a humble and broken heart, and forgive me for allowing my flesh and pride to take over. Thank you for your grace and unfailing love which makes this brokenness possible. I love you Daddy. Amen.
amen amen amen...

I wrote a similar prayer in my journal to Jesus this morning, and your's is my heart's cry, so I pray to our Lord also..thank you for writing this prayer out. it greatly ministered to my heart beloved one.

Ms. Theophilus said...

I need to read this book...thanks for introducing it to me!

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am blessed to read it, I needed to hear that it is not anything I can muster up, it is just looking in the mirror and submitting. Sounds like a book everyone could use reading.